Building Capacity, Strengthening Recovery:
First Work’s COVID Response Program with LaunchPad & Online, Together
First Work is launching a new training program with funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Training, Labour and Skills Development, called “Building Capacity, Strengthening Recovery: First Work’s COVID Response Program with Launchpad & Online, Together.”
Through this capacity building initiative, First Work will provide two training programs – LaunchPad and Online, Together – to employment service providers across the province to help strengthen the success of economic recovery for all Ontario. These new training programs are available regardless of location in the province or membership status with First Work on an application-based admittance.
These programs are intended to support and enhance participating organization’s program delivery, by either training staff to incorporate new approaches into program design or develop an entirely new program that meets the needs of local employers and jobseekers.
Both highly interactive and applied programs focused on building the capacity of the employment services sector in Ontario, provided free of charge courtesy of the Ontario Government, are available on an application basis in multiple cohorts.
LaunchPad: Design & Deliver Industry Specific Workforce Programs
Application close: April 6 th
Program course dates: May 10 – July 23, 2021
Not sure if LaunchPad is right for your agency? We strongly encourage you to tune into the webinar!
Agencies participating in LaunchPad will design and deliver industry-specific workforce programs that prepare vulnerable unemployed jobseekers for specific in-demand skills based on needs of regional employers, while building resilience, self-efficacy and confidence to support sustainable advancement toward client goals and labour market outcomes.
The program combines a dual-customer (demand-driven) approach to engaging employers and designing curriculum, coupled with an asset, goal-focused and trauma-informed delivery method that builds on adult-learning best practices.
This is a highly participatory course. Those staff participating (2-3 from each agency) should be comfortable discussing, sharing and learning with peers.
What will you learn?
In LaunchPad, participating agencies and staff will learn how to design and implement:
• Dual-customer workforce programs focused on preparing vulnerable job seekers for specific in-demand jobs
• Applied occupation-specific skills training
• Programming to support participants to achieve their goals and be successful on the job
• In-take and selection processes to build participant motivation
• A trauma-informed approach in the design and delivery of the program
• An Anti-Racist, Anti-Oppressive framework while designing and delivering programming and working with employers
• Structured post program retention supports
• Implement continuous improvement
How will you learn it?
All participating agencies will design and implement an industry-specific pre-employment programs which connect barriered jobseekers with sustainable in-demand jobs.
Following the 16-week training, participating agencies will pilot their customized LaunchPad Program. Weekly group coaching will be available for 12 weeks following the training.
• 16 week applied course for agencies who develop & deliver employment and training programs
• 3 hours of live program delivery, plus 3 hours of independent work per week
• Highly interactive participatory course involving active engagement
• Course to be delivered in cohorts with teams of 2-3 staff per agency participating
For further information on programming details, please refer to the course syllabus and LaunchPad FAQs.
Before completing the application, please ensure the following:
☑ I have watched the informational webinar.
☑ I understand the time & resource commitments:
• 16 weeks
• 6 hours per week per staff
• 3 staff members
☑ I understand the learning outcomes of the course:
• Design industry-specific workforce program
• Deliver industry-specific workforce program
Steps to apply to the Launchpad program
1. Complete the agency application below
2. Upon submitting the agency application, you will receive a separate application form for each of your nominated staff to complete
3. After submission of all application forms (agency + participants) you will be invited for an interview by First Work and Purpose Co
4. Upon acceptance to the program, you will receive a confirmation and welcome package from First Work and Purpose Co
This application will take 10-15 minutes to complete. Please note that ALL applications (one from the agency and one from each participating team member) must be received by April 6, 2021.
Applicants will be contacted by April 9, 2021 regarding your applications and the stage two interviews.
To ensure fairness, applications are reviewed on a first–come, first–serve basis. Please reference the FAQs and webinar if you have any questions.
The program is valued at $4,500; however, the program is being made available free of charge thanks to funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Online, Together: Design + Deliver Programs that Foster Learning, Resilience, & Goal Achievement
Application close: February 23rd
Program course dates: March 22 – May 7, 2021
To ensure fairness, applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Online, Together is a 6-week course designed to support employment service providers to deliver programs that increase engagement, motivation, and retention by designing programs that foster learning, resilience, and goal achievement, and support a trauma-informed approach.
How will you learn?
• 6-week applied course for practitioners who develop and deliver employment and training programs
• 2.5 hours of live program delivery, plus 1-2 hours of independent work each week
• Participants will complete a capstone project that applies to their current work
When will you learn?
The course requires a time commitment for 6 weeks of 3 – 4 hours per week (2.5 hours during set times) from March 22 – May 7, 2021. The 2.5 hours of training delivery options each week will include a 1.5– hour teaching call and a 1-hour follow-up call to be held on the following offerings:
• Tuesday Teaching Call: 1:00-2:30 pm or 3:00-4:30 pm
• Thursday Follow-Up Call: 1:00-2:30 pm or 3:00-4:30 pm
These are the only times available for attending the teaching calls. Your preference will be requested at a later date after confirming enrollment.
• A 1-hour peer call will take places on Fridays, with timing to be confirmed based on group preference.
For further information on programming details, please refer to the Online, Together FAQs .
Before completing the application, please ensure the following:
• I have watched the informational webinar
• I understand the time commitments (4hrs per week)
• I understand the learning outcomes of the course and the assignments that I will have to submit
The application will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. To ensure fairness, applications are reviewed on a first come first serve basis. Please reference the FAQs and webinar if you have any questions.
The program is valued at $950; however, the program is being made available free of charge thanks to funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
WEBINAR: LaunchPad: Design & Deliver Industry Specific Workforce Programs
WEBINAR – Online, Together: Design + Deliver Programs that Foster Learning, Resilience, & Goal Achievement