Building Capacity, Strengthening Recovery:
First Work’s COVID Response Program with LaunchPad & Online, Together
First Work is launching a new training program with funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Training, Labour and Skills Development, called “Building Capacity, Strengthening Recovery: First Work’s COVID Response Program with Launchpad & Online, Together.”
Through this capacity building initiative, First Work will provide two training programs – LaunchPad and Online, Together – to employment service providers across the province to help strengthen the success of economic recovery for all Ontario. These new training programs are available regardless of location in the province or membership status with First Work on an application-based admittance.
These programs are intended to support and enhance participating organization’s program delivery, by either training staff to incorporate new approaches into program design or develop an entirely new program that meets the needs of local employers and jobseekers.
Both highly interactive and applied programs focused on building the capacity of the employment services sector in Ontario, provided free of charge courtesy of the Ontario Government, are available on an application basis in multiple cohorts.
LaunchPad: Design & Deliver Industry Specific Workforce Programs
First Work is providing direct agency training through the LaunchPad Program. LaunchPad is a structured, highly-applied 16-week program designed to enable employment service providers to integrate a dual-customer workforce development approach to program development and delivery.
Through LaunchPad, participating employment service providers will design industry-specific workforce programs that prepare vulnerable unemployed jobseekers for specific in-demand skills based on needs of regional employers, while building resilience, self-efficacy and confidence to support sustainable advancement toward client goals and labour market outcomes.
The program combines a dual-customer (demand-driven) approach to engaging employers and designing curriculum, coupled with an asset, goal-focused and trauma-informed delivery method that builds on adult-learning best practices.
In LaunchPad, participating agencies will learn how to design and implement:
• Dual customer workforce programs focused on preparing vulnerable job seekers for specific in-demand jobs
• Applied occupation-specific skills training
• Programming to support participants to achieve their goals and be successful on the job
• In-take and selection processes to build participant motivation
• A trauma-informed approach in the design and delivery of the program
• An Anti-Racist, Anti-Oppressive framework while designing and delivering programming and working with employers
• Structured post program retention supports
• Implement continuous improvement
The goal of LaunchPad is for all participating agencies to design and implement industry/occupation specific pre-employment programs. The goal of these programs is to connect job seekers who have experienced barriers to employment with sustainable in-demand jobs.
Following the 16-week training, participating agencies will be required to pilot their customized LaunchPad Program. Weekly group coaching will be available for participating agencies for 12 weeks following the training.
This is a highly participatory course. Those attending should be comfortable discussing, sharing and learning with peers.
• 16 week applied course for agencies who develop & deliver employment and training programs
o 3 hours of live program delivery, plus 3 hours of independent work per week
• Highly interactive participatory course involving active engagement
• Course to be delivered in cohorts with teams of 2-3 staff per agency participating
Webinar: Wednesday, November 18th 1:00pm register here.
Next Course Dates: January 18 – May 7, 2021
Application deadline: December 2nd, 2020
Please note, acceptance for the LaunchPad program will follow an interview, which will take place between December 7th – 11th, 2020. For further information on programming details, please refer to the LaunchPad FAQ.
There will be a webinar to provide a LaunchPad program overview on Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 1:00pm, where you can ask questions directly about the program. Register for the webinar here.
The program is valued at $4,500; however, the program is being made available free of charge thanks to funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Apply to the LaunchPad program as an individual staff member here.
Apply to the LaunchPad program as an agency here.
The lead agency sponsor is required to complete this application, indicating your goals and intentions for the LaunchPad program.
Each agency application also requires 2 – 3 committed staff to participate. Each staff member will need to complete a separate application on their own. All staff are required to participate in all parts of the training.
Online, Together: Design + Deliver Programs that Foster Learning, Resilience, & Goal Achievement
Through Building Capacity, Strengthening Recovery, First Work is providing an enhanced version of Online, Together, now offered over 6 weeks. The course will support employment service providers to deliver programs that increase engagement, motivation, and retention by designing programs that foster learning, resilience, and goal achievement, and support a trauma informed approach.
This training is designed for employment service providers and practitioners who are interested in learning how to facilitate online (and in-person) programs that support client motivation, learning and advancement towards their goals.
In this course, participants will learn how to:
• Apply trauma-informed practice to program planning and delivery.
• Apply specific program design methods that increase program engagement, motivation, and retention.
• Use specific facilitation and applied learning methods that facilitate optimal learning and engagement.
• Use behaviour change principles to help participants build new habits and achieve their goals.
• Boost participant motivation within programs by applying strength-based needs assessments.
• Create accurate, clear, relevant and powerful learning objectives that shape program design.
• Give and receive effective feedback between peers, in order to strengthen each other’s learning.
This is a highly participatory session. Those attending should be comfortable discussing, sharing and learning with peers.
• 6-week applied course for practitioners who develop and deliver employment and training programs
• 2 hours of live program delivery, plus 1-2 hours of independent work each week
• Participants will complete a capstone project that applies to their current work
Webinar: Wednesday, November 25th 11:00am register here
Application deadline: December 9th
Next Course Dates: January 18 – February 26, 2021
There will be a webinar to provide a LaunchPad program overview on Wednesday, November 25th, 2020 at 1:00PM, where you can ask questions directly about the program. For further information on programming details, please refer to the Online, Together FAQs.
The program is valued at $950; however, the program is being made available free of charge thanks to funding support from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Apply to the Online, Together program here.
The application will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. You will receive notification by December 15th, 2020 with confirmation of your place in the course, with programming beginning on January 18th, 2021.
WEBINAR: LaunchPad: Design & Deliver Industry Specific Workforce Programs